Thursday, June 14, 2012

Primos

Mackrina, Xochilt & Marlene
Me & Melissa
Cousins by blood, friends by choice. That is simply how I describe my relationship with my cousins. Please let me be clear here, I have a lot of what Americans might call 1st cousins. However in the Latiin world, everyone is your cousin. If you are the same age and grew up together you're cousins. If someone is older than you by 15 years they're your aunt or uncle (even if they really are your 3rdor 4th cousin). I even have family friends who have no blood relation who I consider my cousins and aunts and uncles. I just wanted to clarify this to my readers so you don't think I have 50 first cousins.

Nikki & Kristyn
Juan & his baby boy
Growing up I had a solid 9 cousins in my life. These people were anywhere between 10 years older to 5 years younger than me. They were my play mates, enemies, sisters, brothers and best of all friends. I was the youngest for awhile so I had a hard time because I was the baby. But as I got older that changed. I grew closer to them, understanding them, seeking their advice. My cousin Melissa is like the sister I never had. I still go to her now when I need help or the brutal honest truth. Marlene is my younger cousin but has the wisdom of an older generation. Nikki is the cousin I go to for a wicked good time. Juan has the morals of a Godly man. Mackrina has the heart of a saint. Kristyn has the artistic ability I wish I had. Turtle has the family I will one day create. Xochilt completely embodies our culture as Mexican women. And Lupe has the strength of 10 men.
Turtle & his family
I am so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. I know that if there was ever a time when I needed any one of those individuals they would be here in a heart beat (God permitting). It brings me such joy to know I have that much love in my family. You have no idea now crucial it is to have that type of bond and support in your life.

Lupe
I should also say that I have a lot of other cousins I didn't mention because they are so far away, or honestly, we aren't that close. These 9 specific people were the people who were in my life daily. So I graciously dedicate this blog to all my wonderful cousins. I love you more than you'll know. You're my past, present and future. You're all a piece of my childhood that can never be lost. I treasure that more than you know.
EMM

No comments:

Post a Comment