Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sugar Momma

According to Urban Dictionary, Sugar Momma: A woman  (often an older woman) who holds her man/woman in nice standing with money, food, an apartment, etc-not always used in a derogatory fashion, or merely in exchange for sex, but because she can.


I watch that show "Bethenny Ever After" with Bethenny Frankel. For those of you who don't know she invented the Skinny Girl Margarita and has since become a very successful and wealthy woman. I don't know the details but I do know she made a huge deal with Jim Beam for approximately $120 million dollars! Let me say she was already married when she struck this deal, her husband even helped her make the deal (according to the show). Once she became a multi-millionaire her husband seemed to be bothered with the fact that she was now more successful than he. There were plenty of arguments
between the 2 on the show about money, his career,
their life, her success, etc.


When I watch this show and explain the situation to my husband we both think he's crazy! I can tell you right now if I made $120 million dollars my husband would be VERY comfortable using my success to buy cars, homes, games, computers, I mean whatever he wanted! He would have no issue with the fact that I made the money. I wouldn't either to be honest. What's mine is his and what's his is mine.


I don't know how the average man feels about this but I think it's becoming more and more acceptable to men for women to be the breadwinners of the household. I hate using the word "acceptable" because it makes it seem like women are allowed to make more money now, but I use it because it's the proper word to use in this situation. I think older generations, like my parents, would consider a woman making more money to be a bit of a struggle for the man. Men of this age seem to feel insecure and degraded. I absolutely disagree with these feelings.


Women work hard, why shouldn't we be able to spoil our men? It's romantic and expected of men to bring home the bacon, but when a woman does it, it's a strike at their ego? I don't think so! I know my husband and male friends would LOVE to have a sugar momma! I can't imagine that as women we care if we make more money than our significant other. I mean we want equality, we want the same rights as them, we want equal opportunity. That being said, we should be comfortable with our men spending the money we make. Is being a sugar momma a step forward in feminism? I don't want to get into that whole debate but I do think we as women are making progress in breaking that glass ceiling. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bake some cupcakes!
EMM

No comments:

Post a Comment